Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Super Side: Roasted Broccoli

So sometimes even sickness strikes The Cook Crook! Monday and Tuesday I not only felt like an elephant had decided to sit on my chest but that my head was filled with molasses! Top that off with still having to go into the office for...wait for it......11 hour days, well friends I wasn't doing much cooking let alone blogging! But, illness is gone, as I write this it's Wine Wednesday and I have one more day of work before I take a day off to spend Good Friday with my son ! And now back to your regular scheduled programming...

One of the things I am often guilty of is spending so much time trying out and/or preparing a main dish, I neglect the side dishes. Hubby is happy with a salad...and I don't meet a salad with all the toppings, I mean lettuce, in a bowl with dressing and croutons. Not too exciting. When my daughter isn't in charge of the menu, we do try to minimize our carbs so there is brown rice and when we are feeling crazy we go for sweet potato fries (and if you haven't tried the Alexia ones you are missing out!) and then of course our go to side: steam in a bag frozen vegetables. Still uninspiring.

Well, if I am going to try new recipes and work to expand my culinary horizons, I should probably work a little harder on the side dishes, right? Cut to Harris Teeter having a sale on broccoli crowns. Great because no thick stems to worry about and pretty minimal effort on my part to cut into florets. I have been encountering a lot about roasted vegetables so I decided to roast the broccoli (baby steps guys....wait until you see what I got going on for Easter brunch!).

Toss the broccoli with olive oil, salt, pepper and sliced garlic. Spread on a baking sheet and roast in a 425 degree oven. Easy and delicious! Obviously the possibilities are endless when it comes to roasting...question is why did it take me so long to do something so simple?

No comments:

Post a Comment