Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Monthly Menu Planning - The first steps!

It's the first day in February, so if you have decided to try your hand at planning meals for the month, today is the day to start! or if you're like me, when the previous month ends at the beginning of the week, you already have this week planned out!

The first step whenever you meal plan is to plan meals for when they will be eaten. I know that sounds crazy, but a lot of people take the time to plan out a menu and then forget Timmy's soccer practice or the Girl's Night Out or that the husband will be out of town on business. So the first step is to fill in all of the evenings you know that your meal will be taken care of (i.e. a party or night out) and all of the evenings that you will need a quick meal or only need to feed part of the family. For example, my husband's EMS duties go on first since he works a 6PM-6AM shift and I know I only have to cook for me and the kids. Next week, I only have to plan for two meals because we have meal related activities outside the house the rest of the week!

Once that's done, the task doesn't seem as daunting because you realize you don't need to dream up a meal for EVERY SINGLE NIGHT...some nights it will be okay to have take-out. The key is to plan for it!

Now in regards to the "busy" nights, those are perfect nights to bring out the meals you have frozen or the trusty crock-pot. The less stress on you when you or your family get home, the better the meal will be, no matter what it is! If you know you have some nights you are looking to crock-pot, take a look at your local grocery store sales and find some recipes that involve cuts of meat on sale. Better yet, raid that freezer of yours where you stockpiled stuff the last time it went on sale!

With the busy nights filled out, the next task (and my next segment on meal planning) will involve planning the meals you have time to prep, pre-prepare and plan with existing ingredients, store finds and of course, leftovers!

If you ever have specific questions, let me know! Remember, I am happy to do the stealing of good ideas for you!

2 comments:

  1. I have a question for you about preparing ahead of time and freezing. I make my mom's lasagna recipe (lasagna noodles, sauce with ground beef, ricotta cheese, and shredded mozzarella for the ingredients). For freezing, should it be frozen BEFORE cooking or AFTER cooking? I'd like to make two at a time and freeze one. With the cheeses, I wasn't sure which way would be better. Also, what should I put it in before freezing? Thanks for any tips you've got...I love reading your blog! :-) Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it's OK if I respond...

    If I need to give a meal to another, lasagna is my first choice, so I've done this a lot. I tell people if they don't want to use it right away, to freeze it uncooked, then defrost 24 hours in the fridge before cooking as directed.

    The only thing I don't do if I'll be freezing is leave out the fresh vegetables... I like to hide spinach in a layer of lasagna to get the extra greens in our diet.

    As soon as I figure out how to have a name and face on here, I'll do so... I did begin following your awesome blog on facebook tonight... and love your spaghetti carbonara ;)

    ReplyDelete