Friday, April 22, 2011

Cook Crook Creation: Chicken Maybe Divan

I update this blog almost every day and how hysterical that I forget my own advice. Ironically I quote my mother as my culinary inspiration and it never occurs to me to consult her anymore! The other day I am driving home talking on the phone with her and happen to mention I needed to look up something to do with the leftover three-quarter of a rotisserie chicken I had in my fridge. (Said chicken is sometimes my husband-is-not-here-and-I-need-to-eat-and-don't-feel-like-cooking meal) As usual, without skipping a beat she asks if I have any broccoli and suggests I make chicken divan. She recalls having a recipe that used cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Then she said the words I love to hear "search on the Internet to get some direction."

And so, I spent a few minutes online and in my cookbooks looking at different chicken divan recipes. The catch was I had to cook with what I had on hand because I was not going to grocery store. I found two packages of frozen cauliflower and broccoli mix and I always have various cream soups on hand (NEVER mushroom as hubby hates mushrooms, and yes, he can tell) and of course shredded cheese is also a staple in our house. I wanted a little extra flavor and hubby likes heat so I went for my crushed red pepper and garlic salt.

Following the traditional chicken divan method, I spread the frozen veggies on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. I chopped up the leftover chicken and spread it over the veggies. Then I sprinkled the red pepper and garlic salt over the chicken.
In a bowl I combined one can of cream of celery and one can cream of chicken soup with about 1/2 cup of sour cream. I spread this mixture over the chicken. Then I topped this with 1 cup of shredded cheese ( I used a 2% Mexican blend). Put into an oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
It turned out so great! I would definitely bring this for a pot-luck or make it as a an easy dinner on a night we are pressed for time. I also think it would be a great freezer meal. Hubby thought the spice was perfect and I think there are some additional seasoning combinations possible too. Definitely one that will be added in our meal planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment