Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chicken Tenders: Part III?

I believe one of the rules of blogging is not to repeat a post, but I am pretty sure I am allowed to improve upon a post. Take this past post on chicken tenders for example. Could use some photos and a little more instruction don't you think?

So I made chicken tenders recently and decided to make a huge batch of them to have leftovers for lunch this weekend. Harris Teeter is running a Buy 1 Get 2 free boneless skinless chicken breast special this week, so I picked up 3 packages to start with the intent of going back later to get more. In fact I will also share here that I bought all the meat and items I need for 6 meals this past grocery shop for a grand total of $43.24...I saved $45.50....yep over $88 worth of groceries for $43! Anyway, back to the chicken....

Although time consuming, it is more economical to make your own "tenders" versus purchasing them precut in the store. I also like cutting my own because I can make them in different sizes for the kids.

This instance of tender making, and since I was making such a large quantity, I actually set up a dredging station: flour (seasoned with season salt and pepper, beaten egg and panko plus a wire rack over a baking pan. I just bought this particular wire rack and it is quickly becoming a favorite!
I also decided to make some spicy ones, so I added wing sauce from a favorite local place to the egg wash after I made all of the regular flavored. When I was done, all of the chicken looked like this:
The ones darker in color were the spicy ones!

Then, in the frying pan they went! I use canola oil and only enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
Once they are browned on both sides, back on the wire rack they go and I keep them in a 200 degree oven until all of the chicken is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment