Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cook Crook Creation: Eggs in Purgatory

My friend Ingrid suggested this recipe for eggs in purgatory. Actually, until she recommended it, I had never heard of it so I went searching to see what other versions were out there. I got a few ideas and decided since my high-cholesterol husband tries to avoid eggs, I'd give it a try one night when I was cooking solo.

So, recently hubby was gone and I had a friend coming over who I had promised to cook dinner. I looked at what I had in the house and decided it would be a good night to try my own eggs in purgatory. I created the recipe below and it was fantastic! (so much so my friend considered seconds!)


Eggs in Purgatory
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon light olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic diced
  • 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
  • 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 jar prepared arrabiata pasta sauce
  • large eggs
  • Grated Parmesan
  • Fresh basil or basil herb blend in the tube
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium high heat.

  2. Add diced garlic and cook until oil is flavored and garlic is just beginning to brown.

  3. Remove garlic from pan.

  4. Add artichoke hearts, olives and Italian seasoning and saute about 5 minutes.

  5. Pour in pasta sauce and heat until just bubbly.

  6. Make a well in the sauce and crack an egg into the well.

  7. Repeat this process with the remaining three eggs.

  8. Cover the pan and cook until the egg whites set and yolks are desired doneness.

  9. Top with grated Parmesan and serve with the fresh basil on top or the basil blend on the side.

I was very happy with this dish and the leftovers re-heated for lunch every well. I look forward to making it again!

Eggs In Purgatory

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for passing along your version of this delicious recipe. Your poor hubby doesn't realize what he is missing out on!

    ReplyDelete