Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sunday Supper: Chili-Corn Chip Pie

Continuing with cooking new recipes out of Cooking Light I next attempted a recipe I really wanted to try: Chili-Corn Chip Pie. If you have never had the full fat version of this, with handfuls of corn chips (of course I love Fritos) in layers topped with beef chili and gobs of cheddar cheese, it IS delicious but of course not good for you. This recipe sounded like a good compromise since it still had the meatiness but just the flavor and crunch of the chips instead of handfuls of them.

The recipe starts with making just a simple skillet chili. I used ground beef instead of sirloin and while I understand the reasoning of using the sirloin, I had no issues with the ground beef.
Once you add the tomato paste, broth, water and tomatoes and chilies, it's a lot like making taco meat: waiting for the liquid to reduce down:
I found I had to add another tablespoon of tomato paste to get it to thicken to my liking. Once the chili is done, the assembly is a snap!
My step-daughter had two helpings as did I! We all enjoyed the quick chili so much we are already dreaming up other ways to use it. It could have also used a little more heat too but I think that also depends how we use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment