Saturday, October 29, 2011

As American as Apple Pie..that I didn't bake

When I read via AltDaily Food that another local food blogger had this inspired idea to host an Occupy event in the blog universe I was intrigued. When I visited her blog, Backstage Baking I was even more interested when I read that she wanted other food bloggers to post about apple pie along with the various Occupy and 99% movements. In her words: “Apple Pie: As American as Revolution”

Inspired I eagerly posted on her blog  about how I had this new pie crust recipe to try (courtesy of  my newly arrived and first issue of Fine Cooking) and how I was so excited because now it's cold, and it's fall and I should be baking...and...and

We had a loved family member visiting from out of town, the oldest had soccer, the littlest was tired and cranky, and hubby and his sister were at a race and I was out of all-purpose flour (wait, how am I out of flour?) Life happens. And that is sort of how I feel about the Occupy movements and the idea of the 99%. I don't think the politicians and Wall Street sat in a room and said let's figure out how to screw people...they made policies they thought would make them money, sure. They made assumptions about how markets and Global economies would operate...and then life happens. There are people who don't have good intentions. There are those who make bad decisions who make things hard on the rest of us. There are those who stand on the sidelines and wait for change to happen and there are those who decide to try and make a difference.

I will probably never pay off my student loan debt. My kids will probably have to take a few loans themselves. I made some bad financial choices when I was younger that I am paying for today..I don't blame anyone directly but I also think things need to change. We need to help one another. Be neighbors again. Be good stewards of our Earth and cloud parent all of the world's children so no one is neglected, unloved or unfed. And sometimes we just need to follow-through with what we said we would do, no excuses.

Now if you excuse me, I have a pie to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment