Saturday, October 8, 2011

Steal of the Week: Mashed Sweet Potatoes

I have been making a conscious effort to shop seasonally more and more so much of this month's menu features produce that is plentiful (and thus cheaper!) this time of year. One of the fall's most popular produce items is a personal favorite of mine: sweet potatoes. I can rock a mean puree (if you are local and been able to watch Cooking with Passion on Cox 11 you saw that in Round 1 --or look for my hands and a stick blender in the promo here) or I always go the standard cook-like-a-baked-potato and dress in butter and cinnamon and sugar. This time I had cream cheese on hand and thought I'd give that a whirl in creating a simple mashed sweet potato side to go along with these beautiful marinated strips (the marinade was fresh squeezed lemon, fresh ginger, Worcestershire, ketchup and soy sauce) :
I ended up stumbling upon a super easy recipe for Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes courtesy of Kraft Recipes.    
And really it doesn't get any easier then peeled and cut sweet potatoes, chicken broth (I used the organic free range I had on hand), cream cheese (I as usual used neufchatel) and nutmeg (I saw no need for the almonds). The great thing about a stick blender is one pot cooking! The finished meal came together with the steaks beautiful grilled by my hubby:
Hubby was such a fan of the sweet potatoes he had to restrain himself from a THIRD helping! They were delicious and I am already thinking of making them for Thanksgiving in lieu of regular potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment