Saturday, March 12, 2011

Steal of the Week: Chicken Pizzaiola

Dinner out plans got cancelled so I was quickly trying to find a dish I could whip up for just hubby and I. Once again, The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook comes to the rescue! The recipe below is directly from the book. I had two chicken breasts so I just eyeballed the amount of ingredients and cooked in a smaller dish. They suggest the amount of sauce in the recipe is enough for up to SIX chicken breasts so keep in mind if cooking for the family. This recipe was a huge hit...but no pictures because we were two hungry folks!

Chicken Pizzaiola

3 cups any type of tomato sauce (I used a spicy sauce)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6-8 oz. each) trimmed
salt and pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozarella
1/2 cup pepperoni, sliced thin (Book suggests you can use any pizza topping you like)

Heat oven to 450 degrees with oven rack at the middle position. Spread the tomato sauce in a 9x13-inch baking dish.

Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Spread Parmesan in a shallow dish, then coat the chicken with the Parmesan. Lay the chicken on top of the tomato sauce. Bake for 15 minutes.

Sprinkle the mozzarella and pepperoni over the chicken. Increase the oven temperature to 475 degrees and continue to bake until the cheese melts and the chicken registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer (anywhere from 5-10 minutes longer).

It is suggested to serve with pasta. Husband had rotini....I had broccoli!

2 comments:

  1. sounds delish! and good for you for choosing broccoli!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Now I have dinner for tonight! Think I'll cook some extra chicken breasts for the penne for next week.

    ReplyDelete