Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dinner Out: The Cellars Restaurant

So what are two people to do when their 12 year-old has a church lock-in and the YMCA is offering Parent's Night Out for the 4 year-old? Go out to dinner of course!! The husband and I had snagged some super cheap Restaurant.com certificates over the holidays and this opportunity presented itself to use them. I made the decision we should try a place we have been meaning to go to, but for whatever reason hadn't made it there for a meal yet. We decided on The Cellars restaurant.

Located in the "cellar" of The Church Point Manorhouse Bed and Breakfast in the Virginia Beach neighborhood of Church Point, I was immediately struck by how beautiful the setting was, even in cold drizzle. It was a quiet night and they sat us near the fireplace:
The restaurant has a very nice wine list. We had already decided we were in a Pinot Noir mood and after having a great experience with an Oregon winery once before, we selected the 2009 Argyle Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.
Whenever we use a gift certificate or Groupon or any kind, we usually splurge on an appetizer. I had reviewed the menu on their website and was immediately drawn to their hush puppies not just because I happen to enjoy hush puppies, but also these words: Edward’s Surry Ham Pimento Cheese. I cannot remember if in any blog I have ever shared my love of pimento cheese, but I have one. My grandmother used to make the most wonderful pimento cheese and I still crave it to this day! The plate did not disappoint:
My husband enjoyed the pickles the most and I was free to indulge in all of that pimento cheese! 

We were also presented with an amuse bouche to start our evening which sadly did not photograph well if only because I did not have a chance to set my camera just right for fear my husband was going to eat my portion! It was a thick square of apple smoked bacon topped with homemade potato salad and crisp potato straws. Enough said.

Then it was entree time. I have mentioned before my husband's love of crab cakes so it was no surprise he went straight for them on the menu. The baby spinach was a win for him too:
My entree is ultimately why I chose this restaurant for this particular night. Osso Bucco is a favorite of mine. Traditionally made with veal shank, the chef at The Cellars used pork shank. Between that, the bourbon sweet tea braising and the Israeli Cous Cous Mac and Cheese, I was sold. I may have cried had they been out of it.
The husband helped me eat some of that mac and cheese which was incredible and may prove to be a future inspiration for a dish of my own. The "star of the plate" as they say was indeed the pork; tender, flavorful,falling off the bone and the reduction was a perfect compliment.

Despite New Year's resolutions and making a personal practice to minimize sugar, no dinner out is complete without dessert. Frankly, I have been very good with my sweets intake and have been sticking to only one sweet treat a week. Sweets in all honesty have never been my downfall. I could have gained 10 pounds just eating pimento cheese! Anyway, we decided on their chocolate torte with caramel sauce and candied hazelnuts. I think the picture speaks for itself.
It was a beautiful meal and a beautiful setting. Thank you to our server Anna and to everyone who had a hand in our delicious meal and wonderful evening!

3 comments:

  1. I love The Cellars and that Osso Bucco looks amazing. I will have to remember to try that the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kudos.

    ReplyDelete