Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cook Crook Creation: Teriyaki Meatballs

I am always looking for ways to simply meals during the week and as I have said many a time, a slow-cooker is often the way to go. And the meal itself may prove to be as simple an inspiration as a magazine coupon!

I came across an advertisement and coupon for Minute-Rice and Dole Pineapple. The idea was to make a teriyaki meatball with pork and bottled teriyaki sauce along with the pineapple and serve over rice. Being that I always have prepared turkey meatballs on hand and just so happened to have a can of pineapple chunks as well as a bottle of Lawry's teriyaki marinade and sauce, a crock-pot meal came together just like that.

I used two packages of meatballs, one bottle of teriyaki, and the whole can of pineapple and juice. I had it on my slow-cooker for about 7 hours on Low but I think the ideal time would be 4-5 only because I could tell that the meatballs closest to the side of the crock-pot were getting a little overdone. I removed the meatballs and then turned the crock-pot on high and added a little cornstarch to thicken the liquid. I then decided a little more pineapple was in order and added one of the single serve containers to the sauce. I added the meatballs back in and served them over 90 second Uncle Ben's Jasmine Rice. Quick and pretty yummy. I think when I do it again I will make my own teriyaki ahead of time only because the bottled kind is pretty salty. The leftovers were even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment