Saturday, January 28, 2012

Quick Meal: Spicy Chicken Quesadillas

This was a very quick recipe again courtesy of Cooking Light. Our house loves Mexican food and this recipe sounded right up our alley. I, as usual, made some adjustments based on what I had on hand. Surprisingly, I didn't have any left over rotisserie chicken so I used the quick grill to grill up two chicken breasts.

Also, since it was a lot more chicken than the recipe called for, I decided to make a big batch of filling and freeze the rest for a later meal. The original recipe for Spicy Chicken Quesadillas and here is mine:

2 grilled chicken breasts
1/2 cup refrigerated salsa
1/2 cup organic black beans
1 can of 50% reduced salt kernel corn
1/4 cup chopped jarred jalapeno slices
8 6-inch corn tortillas
1 1/2 cup 2% Mexican cheese blend
Cooking Spray
Reduced fat sour cream

It is actually a little difficult to cook these in a skillet because of the filling, so I decided to instead of using two tortillas, just use one and fold in half. I think next time, I make them in the oven like I usually do with quesadillas.

These were tasty but not as spicy as the title would lead you to believe. The extra filling is in fact in the freezer and hubby and I decided it would make great enchilada filling! Also, apparently I forgot that hubby is also not a huge black bean fan so perhaps if the filling is combined with a little more cheese and a spicy sauce, he can forgive my memory lapse next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment