Thursday, January 5, 2012

Travel Spot: Tutto Italia

As I mentioned, my family and I spend our holiday break in Orlando. We were fortunate to have great friends who invited us to come along with them to their timeshare and even more fortunate to have my youngest sister-in-law and her husband join us in Florida for a few days prior to our time in the timeshare. In planning the trip, my girlfriend Pat made it a point that at some point during the trip we would be dining at her family’s favorite Italian restaurant in Epcot, Tutto Italia . Since we were staying at a timeshare with a full kitchen and had planned to try and eat as many meals outside the parks as possible, a splurge at a Disney restaurant wasn’t unreasonable and I looked forward to it.

Disney is famous for their outstanding efforts to preserve authenticity in their world showcase at Epcot but prior to this trip I hadn’t spent enough time at Epcot to experience it myself. So when we arrived at Tutto Italia and we sat down and were greeted by our server, who was 100% Italian and then I looked at the menu, I was certainly a believer. This is their antipasti platter:
Because it was prime busy season, dinner reservations were impossible so we were at Tutto Italia for lunch. Consequently, I purposely looked for a lighter dish and then came across their gnocchi. Have I mentioned my love of gnocchi? Or how many different times I have ordered it in restaurants? Or maybe how it is sometimes hit or miss? Gnocchi is on my wish list of entrees to attempt but I am still trying to overcome a dough phobia I seem to have developed over the years! So I continue to order it, always hoping to be impressed and greatly wishing one of my grandmothers had been Italian.

The gnocchi arrived and I was already impressed by its appearance and aroma.
One bite and it was pure heaven. Seriously, I mentioned it to the server that the chef was a genius. I made Patricia’s husband Joe taste it. Let it be known that both of them are of Italian heritage and Joe has vast experience with gnocchi. Joe was equally floored as I was to its lightness and flavor.  I cannot find a description that adequately describes the lightness of those gnocchi especially when often times they are doughy or so dense you want a nap after you eat too much. I am not ashamed to say I could have eaten two bowls, by myself, in one sitting with no stops for liquid. That…freaking…good!

So maybe this experience will push me to attempt gnocchi myself sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment