Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Simple Steps: Oven Roasting Tomatoes

While I have planted herbs, I have yet to attempt a garden. Luckily, a very good friend of mine has one every year as do my parents so I very often reap the benefits of their hard work and excess crop! So when my friend Mary asked if I wanted any Roma tomatoes, I said "you betcha!" Then in keeping with my plan to try new things and use fresh ingredients all inspired by Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home, I decided to attempt something I never have with tomatoes: oven roasting them.

First let me say that Chef Keller's book is not only informative, but beautiful:
Ad Hoc at Home

Per his detailed instructions, I put a large pot of water to boil with the insert inside (which I continue to find useful for blanching) and while the water came up to a boil, cored my tomatoes and using the paring knife, made X's in the bottom, following Chef Keller's tip to take the X into the sides of the tomato. 
Then into the pot they went:
It literally took a minute for the skins to wrinkle and pull back and once plunged into the ice water, they were already starting to peel themselves. I let them cool a few minutes and then halved them. At this point I discovered two things: 1) I need to sharpen my pairing knife 2) I need some practice coring! It wasn't the end of the world as I just removed any remaining core when I halved them. Then onto a foil lined baking sheet they went:
The next step per Chef Keller is to drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and he added sprigs of thyme. I was going for a particular flavor after getting inspiration from a new Foodie Find: Savor the Olive in Virginia Beach. I am going to feature some information on their products in a future post so just know that I purchased a bottle of their chipotle infused extra virgin olive oil and it was so delicious, I decided to use it on these tomatoes! Therefore, I only salted and peppered them as the seasoning and popped them into the 200 degree oven for 5 hours. The result:
I couldn't help but put one into my mouth (and then another) and the flavor was AMAZING! Chef Keller advises to pour the oil left in the pan onto the tomatoes in whatever storage container you choose to use and that they keep in the fridge up to a week. I am looking forward to using them for this Saturday's wine and cheese party. But next time, I want to be able to fill the jar...anyone have any tomatoes to spare?

No comments:

Post a Comment