Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Back to basics....

I hope everyone had an excellent 4th of July holiday and I want to say I thoroughly enjoyed my time off and on vacation! However, even on vacation I did some cooking, and some thinking and some planning in regards to cooking. Partly I was inspired by my recent library find: Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller which I have begun reading, analyzing, note taking and basically devouring! The other part of inspiration came from a  family trip to Old Sturbridge Village, which is in Massachusetts and is an "experience early New England life from 1790-1840" to quote their website. There I took this picture:
This village uses the techniques and "equipment" of the time period to make the meals they eat and showcase to visitors. Can you imagine making this in a "stove" that is basically a fireplace? As we toured their herb gardens and vegetable gardens and saw the fresh milk and cheese making...I thought how simple food really is and how often we make cooking so complicated.
       So, I am embarking on two culinary journeys over the next few months until school starts back up for me and the kids again. The first is a "back to basics" approach in which I plan to use Thomas Keller's book and other resources to hone some dormant skills and try to rediscover the simplicity of ingredients and food. The second approach came from an interest in history reignited by our trip...and in this case family history. My great-grandmother was Chinese and I regret that I didn't have the desire to learn more about her cooking or her culture and while I do prepare some Chinese dishes...I have a lot to learn. My plan is to experiment more with Asian, do some research and more cooking to gain the experience I really want to have in that cuisine.
      I look forward to sharing the journey, the recipes and as always all my other cooking adventures (and misadventures) along the way...right after I enjoy my last night off and some sushi from a very good local place!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment