Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cook Crook Creation: Roasted Tomato and Basil Spread

I was so happy with the batch of roasted tomatoes I made and couldn't wait to use them for my upcoming wine and cheese party. It obviously my first batch didn't make a lot so I didn't feel right just putting them out as a topping for a charcuterie plate. I turned my attention to making something I could incorporate the tomatoes into and not lose the wonderful flavor.

A quick scan of my fridge revealed an 8 ounce block of neufchatel and some more of that wonderful fresh basil paste...and in my mind I thought "spread!" And having a food processor made this super easy!

1 cup of roasted tomatoes
8 oz of neufchatel or low-fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons of basil paste OR 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil

Add roasted tomatoes to food processor and finely chop. Add basil and blend again. Add cheese to food processor in 1-inch cubes, pulsing after each addition. Once last of cheese is added, blend quickly and  this should be your result:
Scrape the ingredients into a serving dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. 
I served it with crostini and various crackers but one of my friends who really enjoyed it suggested using it on a wrap or sandwich. So the next day, I spread it on a low-fat tortilla, topped it with deli turkey and romaine lettuce and wrapped it up into a delicious lunch! This spread will certainly become a staple to have around for entertaining and to enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. *drool*

    It was so delicious, both warm and right out of the refrigerator the day after. Like Ingrid said, I want to put it on everything.

    ReplyDelete