Thursday, July 7, 2011

5 Minute Breakfast

In keeping with the theme of simplicity...what is simpler than a breakfast for one in less than 5 minutes?

I would say that breakfast is my favorite meal but I really think it’s simpler than that…I happen to love eggs and breakfast many times equals eggs. However, the practicality of a full breakfast every day doesn’t exist for most people. Even if you don’t work a 40 hour or 40 plus hour work-week outside your home, making breakfast still can be time consuming. I would wager a lot of parents out there will also admit to feeding their kids breakfast but skipping it themselves.

I am no dietician but I know breakfast is in fact the most important meal of the day not just because every article I have ever read about it says so, but also because if I don’t have a protein packed breakfast, I feel the difference come the afternoon. I have blogged about making egg casserole ahead of time and freezing it in individual containers to ensure breakfast happens…but what happens when there is no casserole or none got made because of a busy weekend? Does it mean I need to just try and make it on one of my kid’s granola bars?

Surprisingly I was inspired yet again by Top Chef (in this case Top Chef Masters) and in the most surprising way: breakfast in the microwave. Blasphemy say you but I say what a quick, painless and seemingly delicious way to get breakfast made and eaten in no time flat. So, I developed this omelet in a cup recipe based on what I saw in that episode and a few experiments of my own. My favorite part of this preparation is that you are only washing one dish when it’s all done!

I started with a simple ceramic soup mug. I sprayed it with Pam and then cracked in two large eggs. To the eggs I added about two tablespoons of chopped green onion (I use kitchen shears WAYYY easier than knife work), a handful of Mexican blend cheese, salt, pepper and one slice of deli ham torn into bite size pieces. Mixed it all together and put in microwave on high for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remember: EVERY microwave is different so you are looking for the eggs to be fluffy and set and no liquid on the top or on the underside when gently lifted with a fork.
Quick, easy, low-carb, delicious. Since this I have experimented with different meats on hand, spinach, cheeses etc....so far I haven't put together anything that hasn't worked. Breakfast for one is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment