Saturday, March 5, 2011

Steal of the Week: Waffles by Fabio

I am a sucker for breakfast and I would go so far as to say it is my favorite meal of the day. I love making big breakfasts on the weekend for the family. This Saturday I decided on waffles because everyone in the family loves them.


Anyone who know me knows I am obsessed with Top Chef and during the course of never missing an episode, became quite a fan of Fabio Viviani who appeared in Season 5 and now recently returned for Top Chef All-Stars. He recently came out with an e-book devoted solely to breakfast so I downloaded it and quickly found a recipe for the basic waffle. 


The recipe does not differ too much from ones I have seen in the past except for the introduction of the brown sugar which I thought was a nice touch. Still being conscious of trying to be somewhat healthy with ingredients, I made a few minor changes. I substituted one of the three cups of flour for whole wheat flour and I used Smart Balance butter again. I also was one whole egg short so I made up the difference with some egg substitute.

I was pretty happy with the finished product and my step-daughter went nuts when I served them with fat-free whipped cream!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I, too, am a little obsessed. I've already explored several of his recipes on my blog! Thanks for the healthy substitutions. It's always convenient when someone ELSE tests a modified version first. :^}

    ReplyDelete