Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Night Bites: MacGyver Night Recipe

Last night was MacGyver night at my house…no, not a DVD marathon (although I secretly wouldn’t mine owning the whole series!) but a night in which I simply put “pork” on the menu and I needed to come up with something. I have discussed my MacGyvering before and how it has become a big part of how I prepare dishes and end up coming up with new recipes. On this night, I am little late with the grocery shopping so my “fresh” options were severely limited but since I had thawed from the freezer about a 2 pound package of boneless pork chops due to the menu, I had that as my main protein.

A quick review of the cabinets and freezer and a dish was born. Say hello to pan fried teriyaki chops with jasmine rice and sautéed garlic spinach!

It took on half bottle of Lawry’s 30-minute marinade (teriyaki flavor), flour, olive oil, 2 table spoons of butter, 2 cloves of garlic, half a bag of frozen chopped spinach and 1 package of Uncle Ben’s 90 second rice.


For the record going forward if I am ever preparing a simple side dish of spinach, I will now ALWAYS prepare it sautéed in a pan! In this case, after I fried the pork, I used the reserved  hot oil, added the butter and garlic and then cooked the spinach until hot. Added a little salt and pepper and I could have sworn it was like the same dish I prepare using fresh leaves!

Have you had a MacGyver moment? Share with The Cook Crook!

No comments:

Post a Comment