Friday, February 11, 2011

MacGyver Night

I will admit that I loved MacGyver and never missed an episode (we won't talk about the pictures of Richard Dean Anderson in my locker) but who would have thought that the word "MacGyver" would become a part of our slang? If you have never seen an episode (or never owned a TV), MacGyver could escape a Turkish prison with a paper clip, some chewing gum and a shoe lace. To "MacGyver" is to take what you ordinarily have on hand and make something new.

So tonight, was my MacGyver night and usually, like tonight, it is the night my husband isn't home and experimentation doesn't affect anyone but me! So, I took a look in the fridge and cabinets. In the fridge I found leftover cooked whole wheat rotini pasta, fresh spinach, chopped bacon, and leftover diced onion. In the cabinet I found a jar of light Alfredo sauce I keep meaning to try. So I sauteed that bacon and onion in a little olive oil and then wilted that spinach in the mixture. I heated up a 3/4 cup of the sauce with the pasta in a small pot and then added the other ingredients. Add a salad on the side from the Romaine hearts I always have on hand, and Voila, dinner is served. Not a rocket ship out of a paper towel tube and hairspray, but it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment