Monday, August 15, 2011

Busy Cooking but NOT Blogging???

Have you missed me? I can honestly say I missed blogging and ironically the preparation of food is what kept me away! Some words of wisdom: the phrase “ I love to cook so if you need some help with church camp….” can result you being in charge of the meals for 75-125 people for four straight nights! Top that on full days in the office from 7:00am-3:30pm and well, a girl’s gotta sleep sometime!

However, I did have to share the beautiful ravioli that came out of some practice cooking rounds in preparation for the Cooking with Passion competition. I wanted so badly to photograph the other things I worked on and the dishes I made, but my episode was filmed yesterday and won’t air until October soooo no spoilers here folks!

I have such respect for the reality TV cooking competitions after this experience. I stayed up last night watching the next Food Network Star finale and tried to imagine myself in their shoes. I am comfortable in front of a camera but I am human too and all it took was the producer to tell me not to begin my sentences with “so” and that was then the first thing coming out of my month! The pressure was intense even on this small local scale so I am impressed that more reality chefs don’t crack under the circumstances. I think I was probably on the verge of tears a few times!

But like most people involved in these sort of efforts, I wouldn’t go back in time  and not enter because it has been such a rewarding experience. I love having people I don’t really know taste and critique my food. I like the creative outlet and the fast-pace and it’s been a joy cooking with one of my dear friends. If you are in Hampton Roads, turn to Cox 11 on Sunday nights and watch Cooking with Passion to see how it all turned out! Reruns of the 1st six episodes start from the beginning this Sunday the 21st and lead up to the semi-final rounds which air in October. In the meantime, I owe my family some home-cooked meals…and you the readers more cook crookery!! Stay tuned…..

No comments:

Post a Comment