Friday, August 19, 2011

Lower Guilt Meatball Parm Sandwich

Sometimes minimizing the impact of ingredients on caloric content takes very easy substitutions. Sometimes those substitutions are intentional and other times they are accidental. My hubby loves what he calls “meatball parm grinders”  which for me being from "The South" equates to a meatball sub. One of the items I often pick up in large quantities when on sale are Harris Teeter’s fresh made and precooked turkey meatballs. I freeze them until I am ready to use them and either quickly heat them in olive oil before adding to a prepared sauce for a quick meal or add them frozen and allow to slow cook in the sauce I have prepared for all day cooking.

The night I had meatball subs on the menu, we were strangely without bread, rolls or buns of any kind (I blame a week in which 3 members of the household had to take packed lunches every day). I had pasta on the menu for the week already so I wasn't going to go that route either. As I searched fridge for more ideas I came across my package of Flat-Out flatbread. We typically use these for deli-meat or chicken wraps and the occasional quick and healthy pizza but why couldn’t I use them for a meatball "sandwich"?

I decided to brown the meatballs in a little olive oil and then halve them before laying them out on one half of each of the flatbreads which I had laid on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
I added just a little bit of jarred pasta sauce (because I was worried about sogginess and leakage) and then added 2% mozzarella cheese. 
I folded the other half over and sprayed that also with the cooking spray. I popped them into a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes until cheese had melted and the flatbread had browned and gotten a little crispy. I halved the sandwiches and served them with a side of the sauce. 
Hubby declared he’d eat meatball parm like this anytime and said he was sad that I only made him one! I actually see a lot of potential using these for more hot sandwiches especially since they are pretty healthy as well as tasty! The Flat-Out folks also have recipes on their website if you don't know where to start! Happy wrapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment