Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane...and unfortunately not the drink!

So here in Hampton Roads we have been preparing for Hurricane Irene which we are feeling the effects from now but as this blog shows, as of now we have power! But since we are riding out the storm in a hotel (our neighborhood floods and hubby has to stay in town for his job) I am not doing any cooking! What I found fun was a local blogger's recent post about Recipes for Disaster and I started thinking about what we would do should we lose power. To the hotel I brought Nutella because well, I think we always have Nutella and of course peanut butter, crackers, bread, muffins...quite the carb party up in here folks! I did also bring in single serve containers of fruit, cereal and Kashi bars as well as some yogurt for as long as we have power. I am now craving a Nutella and peanut butter English muffin! But as far as recipes, canned chicken combined with mayo packets and relish packets from the hotel kitchen make yummy chicken salad, maybe even add to it some of my son's beloved Craisins to really class it up! I am allergic to canned tuna so that's out but I love deviled ham sandwiches. I am reminded of a few Top Chef challenges in which the chefs didn't have anything but fire, or a gas camping stove or no power at all. And I suppose if you need to get rid of some shrimp and/or scallops you have in your fridge...ceviche is always a show stopper! (Can you imagine, yeah, the power went out but we had ceviche and wine and peanut butter and Nutella for dessert!) Whatever you whip up, pay close attention to food safety guidelines and don't light an outdoor grill inside your house! See you on the other side of Irene!

No comments:

Post a Comment