Monday, March 28, 2011

Another Cook Crook Steal: Crepes!

My local Harris Teeter was having a Buy 1 Get 2 free special on strawberries and I love strawberries in desserts. It also happened to be Super Double Coupons and thanks to The Krazy Coupon Lady, I scored a $1 off (which would double to $2 off) coupon for my favorite indulgence: Nutella

If you have never had Nutella I caution you against its addictive properties…that is if you like chocolate and hazelnut. I have a very good friend who makes a fabulous cookie topped with the stuff and my celebrity chef crush Fabio Viviani has a fantastic recipe for Nutella biscuits on his website. But, because I had those awesome strawberries, I wanted to use them too.

Enter one of my favorite dessert options: crepes. Granted, I have never made a crepe to this point but I have eaten my fair share and have enjoyed a Nutella and strawberry one at restaurants in the past. So why not give it a whirl and the next thing I know, the search was on for a crepe recipe. The recipes I had in my cookbooks were pretty complicated and also called for whole milk, real butter etc., so I let Google do its thing and found this recipe for low-fat crepes.

I do not own a crepe pan (or an 8-inch non-stick skillet for that matter) so I decided to use my trusty 10-inch and just make the crepes a little larger than what was suggested in the recipe. The recipe made exactly two large crêpes. The first one came out a little light but my second attempt was perfection! 

Upon removal from the pan I spread about 1 ½ tablespoon of Nutella inside and topped with sliced strawberries.
I folded it over and topped with Cool Whip Free and even got a little fancy with a strawberry garnish. Deliciousness!
I can't wait to try other fillings now that I have a crepe recipe I like. In the meantime, I'll be ordering the individual serving packs of Nutella to satisfy my next craving!

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried Nutella but now I want to! I think I might try these as an Easter dessert :)
    -Shelly

    ReplyDelete