Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fajitas

The menu called for Chicken Caesar salad, a quick, healthy and easy meal that is perfect for a Monday. I arrive home from work and find my two defrosted chicken breasts...but alas no lettuce. Now what?
Well, it just so happened that a good friend had just returned from a trip to San Antonio bearing gifts, specifically fajita seasoning and pico de gallo. We always have corn and flour tortillas on hand, I knew we had onions and I located a green pepper....so fajitas it became!

Fajitas are actually a popular dinner in our house. Sometimes I plan for them on the menu when I find a good price on skirt steak or leftover steak combined with a grilled chicken breast will make a good fajitas meal. I have never used a seasoning mix for my fajitas though. I have made them simply using taco seasoning and marinating the meat in a lime vinaigrette dressing. I have followed recipes that call for Italian dressing like this one. I have used chili powder, fresh lime juice, garlic and cumin. Sometimes, I use an indoor grill. Sometimes hubby takes the meat outside and other times I just saute the meat in a pan.Regardless of the marinade, I always reserve as a cooking liquid for the vegetables. I also season the veggies with a little extra of whatever dry seasoning I am using.

So here I am faced with a canister of  fajita seasoning I have never used. I open it and it has an amazing flavor and the instructions on the canister simply say to marinate the meat in the seasoning. I decide to go ahead and cut the two breasts into strips and then add a good amount of seasoning to the sliced chicken in a Ziploc bag. Hubby wasn't do home for another hour so in the fridge it went. I also went ahead and sliced my peppers and onions too.

When I was ready to cook, I heated some vegetable oil on medium-hi heat and added the chicken. I browned it well and removed from the pan. Then I added the green peppers and onions to the leftover oil. I added a little more seasoning and sauteed the vegetables for a few minutes before adding the chicken back to the pan.

While the chicken finished cooking and the vegetables softened, I heated the tortillas in a 325 oven for 10 minutes. By the time the tortillas were done, it was time to serve the fajitas.

I served them with pico de gallo, salsa, sour cream and shredded Mexican blend cheese. The seasoning was awesome and no extra liquid was needed. The only upgrade I will make is to squeeze a little fresh lime juice last minute of cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment