Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Inspired by the Grocery Store Circular

Nutdanai Apikhomboonwaroot / FreeDigitalPhotos.net








Its Wednesday! Often referred to as hump day since the weekend is that much closer on the other side of it. Its also my favorite day of the week for other reasons. On Twitter its Wine Wednesday, Bravo is currently airing Top Chef AND its grocery store circular day. I get really excited about the circular for a few reasons. One, in recent years, I have become a little obsessed with coupons and I play a little game with myself matching products on sale to coupons. ( I am NOT a coupon expert by any means visit http://www.afrugalchick.com/ for help with that!) Two, I have mentioned using it to help with meal planning and ultimately cost-saving through it. So really, I use the grocery circular for inspiration!Well, I am half way planned for March this time around, so how about I give a demo on how I get inspired by the grocery circular.

Harris Teeter (afterwards referred to as HT) is right around the corner from my house but proximity alone is not what makes me a frequent shopper there. There sales are sound, the produce fresh and I can find most of what I need for the type of cooking and entertaining I do. (Trader Joes carries the Organic snacks, specialty cheese and hard to find items I need).

The front page of the circular is just like the front page of a paper: It has the headlines and pictures that they place to grab your attention and continue reading. This week, HT is focused on its Buy 1 Get 1 specials. I immediately notice frozen mixed vegetables are a part of that promotion. If you don’t keep a bag of mixed vegetables handy, you are missing on a handy staple for some great meals. I use these for pot pies, soups and stews and Shepherds pie among other things. Looking over my monthly menu I noticed I am preparing roast chicken Friday and had originally planned for enchiladas with leftovers. Now I am thinking a Mexican pot pie-like casserole may be the perfect use of the leftovers, and a chance to try something new.

A big feature is Pillsbury Grand Biscuits are 10 for $10. I don’t need 10 but this is another item I like having on hand. In fact, a blog reader had shared with me via Facebook an empanada recipe using refrigerated biscuits so that gets added as a weekend meal so I have time to work with a new recipe.

Cool Whip is 99 cents this week. This is something I ALWAYS have on hand. It freezes well and thaws quickly for recipes. I have a South Beach dessert recipe that I swear by and got from Food.com that uses Cool Whip and its great for making easy desserts for non-bakers like me.

Now for fresh meat, a great price on Boneless skinless chicken catches my eye but I am also excited about the Center Cut Pork Chops. Their size and thickness when I get to the store will determine their use but I am already thinking the weather is making grilling more and more realistic!

Whats this? Oscar Mayer bacon BOGO? Count me in! My family eats turkey bacon for breakfast but I cook with real bacon when its used in a recipe. A new thing I have been doing is cooking some ahead of time and keeping crumbled bacon on hand. Cooking Light gave a fantastic refresher on bacon cooking here. I also cut up some raw bacon to use for MacGyver moments. If itdoesn’t get used for a meal within its useful life, it can easily be cooked in the morning and thrown into an omelet for me or used on top of something like mashed cauliflower or a salad.

Finally, I review the produce. I search for staples like onions, mushrooms, celery and peppers and then look to see what vegetables are priced as seasonal. This week the broccoli  and Bartlett pears look like good options. I see a broccoli stir-fry being added and I am going to try this recipe for the pears!

So thats my Wednesday ritual! If you have a favorite grocery store take a few minutes to look through its weekly specials and see what catches your eye not only as a good price but also a good item to build a dish around. If you don’t get the paper, go online to see the latest specials or sign-up to have specials e-mailed to you. HT lets you build an online shopping list that you can print or e-mail. And if you find something in the ad that sounds good, but don’t know what to do with itask me. I am sure I can steal a good idea from somewhere for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment