Saturday, March 19, 2011

Steal of the Week: Chicken Penne Casserole

A huge thanks to Kalyn's Kitchen once again for a great recipe! With family in town and 3 people needing to carb up before their 8K run, this was a family friendly and tasty choice.
http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/03/chicken-penne-casserolesophie-cooks-in.html
My modifications were simple:
I precut my chicken into bite sized pieces. I heated a small amount of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet and cooked 5 cloves of minced garlic about 1 minute before adding the chicken. I sprinkled about a tablespoon of poultry seasoning over the chicken while I sauteed it. Then I used the chicken as the recipe indicates.

I also used Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup as she suggests, but I used the 98% Fat free, Healthy Request. The final change was just using two 7oz packages of 2% Kraft shredded mozzarella, one package for each layer.
A HUGE hit!

2 comments:

  1. Over the weekend or next week... maybe potluck again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is our dinner for tonight, but I'll be mixing in fresh chopped spinach to get some extra veggie... we'll be having broccoli to go with it!

    I have a friend who is dairy free, and I thought if it were for her, I'd do it, but with a tomato based sauce minus the cheese.

    Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete