Saturday, April 4, 2009

Frozen Turkey Meatballs - Why I Always Have a Bag on Hand


The husband LOVES meatball subs, the step-daughter loves spaghetti and meatballs and I enjoy a simple cocktail meatball at any party I go to. I have made meatballs from scratch (my mother-in-law has an awesome recipe) but many times, especially for parties or quick meals, I used the reliable pre-cooked kind (frozen or meat case).
Like most beef and pork based items these days, meatballs are also available in the turkey variety. A word of caution that like most turkey products, not all of them are good (ahem, Armour) but those that are (I happen to especially enjoy Harris Teeter's store brand version) really are a great thing to have on hand.
Remember that crock pot marina sauce I made? Well, cooking that in the crock-pot freed me up some time to go the extra mile with the meatballs and bake them in the oven like I love. Thirty minutes from package, to pan to serving dish. Those meatball subs my husband loves are easy with a jar of our favorite sauce and add meatballs. I can even make a simple sauce, add the meatballs and leave in the trusty crock-pot all day.
I have also found some "cocktail" meatball recipes that make fantastic meals. Burgundy meatballs, for example, involve a simple sauce of onions, brown gravy mix and red wine and are delicious over egg noodles.

And did you ever think about serving sweet and sour meatballs with fried rice or in a poor man's Lo Mein (i.e spaghetti noodles and chopped veggies).
When I am preparing the menu for the month, that bag (or package) of meatballs has always proved to be a great go-to option and so far, everything I have made with them have been asked for again.

No comments:

Post a Comment