Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My First CSA Box! Local Produce at the Ready

I am so excited about locally grown produce! Let me back up...I have never participated in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture for those of you who may not know) and was always a little hesitant to do so because of the commitment. Ordinarily, you pay up front for 6 weeks of produce that you need to pick up from a specified location. THAT seemed unattainable to me and my family, the crazy-busy, two-people-working-outside-the-home family that we are. So I was very excited when a farm on the Eastern Shore of Virginia started offering a "flexible" CSA which allows you to choose the weeks you want to order. Mattawoman Creek Farms sends me an e-mail advising me of that week's selection and if I am interested, I pay via PayPal and choose my desired pick-up location.

Today was my first pick-up which was a breeze, just signed my name and got my produce. And what a bounty I got: pie pumpkins, butternut squash, arugula, red radishes, a hot pepper mix and purple potatoes. I am so excited to make some yummy dishes. I have already froze some of the hot peppers for later and I am working on creating a spicy harvest soup of squash and pumpkin. If you want to know more about CSAs, check out Local Harvest: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

No comments:

Post a Comment