Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Quick Meal: Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts

I think every cook, when faced with a cooking disaster finds herself retreating back to familiar tried and true dishes or at the very least a simple one. I bring this up because the long string of successful dishes came to an end on Sunday when I tried to make a stuffed pork tenderloin. When I am fully over the trauma, it will be its own post as I have never said this blog was about cooking perfection (remember that roast chicken?). In the meantime, when it came to the night I had set aside to use chicken breasts, I was not in the mood to do anything particularly adventurous.

I wasn't feeling like anything pan-fried and shockingly had no interest in Mexican or pasta. A quick scan of the fridge revealed prosciutto and that I still had parmigiano-reggiano. So enter my quick meal: prosciutto wrapped chicken. For a side,the pantry revealed some sweet potatoes left over from our last Farmer's Market trip and I knew the mashed sweet potatoes would be a success.

I salt and peppered two chicken breasts and wrapped each one in three pieces of prosciutto.
I heated some olive oil in a stainless oven proof pan and placed the chicken in the pan, seam side down:
After about 5 minutes on each side, I shaved some slices of parmigiano-reggiano on top of the wrapped chicken and slid them into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes:
I let them rest and served them with my potatoes that I had prepared while they had been cooking.
Quick, easy and pretty good. Hubby suggested adding more cheese, preferably on the inside. I agreed on the cheese and thought maybe some tucked in rosemary or other chicken-loving herb would be great. With a meal successfully accomplished, I think I can now go off experimenting again...just not pork tenderloin anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment