Friday, April 3, 2009

How I got the 9 Year-Old to Eat Spinach

Rachel Ray is one of my favorite chefs to steal from for two reasons: 1) her recipes tend to be simple and 2) the meals can be prepared rather quickly. When I saw this recipe - I was immediately interested. I had fried ravioli as an appetizer at TGIFriday's once upon a time and I remembered the husband being a big fan. So, I tried it out.

First, I decided to use good ol' Kraft grated Parmesan cheese. Yes, I am a huge fan of Parmigiana-Reggiano but it's not as cheap as the green can. I also found it hard to find a package of 12-large fresh ravioli. My warehouse club actually sells two packages of spinach and cheese ravioli that contain about 24 medium sized ones, so I went with those. I coat and cook the ravioli as Rachel suggests and then serve it with a nice dish of our favorite jarred pasta sauce. A few of these and a side make a very good meal.

The 9-year old loved these right away and her eating them resulted in one of my favorite family moments. One night she bit into one of the raviolis and decided to carefully examine the contents. I waited to hear her reaction to the very green insides. She looked carefully at both of us and said, "I'm eating spinach aren't I?". Her father smiled and asked if that was a problem. She popped the rest of the ravioli into her mouth and said "Not if it's like this". Needless to say the only obviously green thing you will ever see on my step-daughter's plate is peas but to this day fried ravioli is her favorite meal and she always eats her spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment