Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Night Bites: Cook Crook Created Sausage and Cheese Wonton Cups

Planning a get together for the Big Game? My family is having a ton of people over for Sunday and since we are providing the main dishes and asking people to bring their favorite sides, I am excited to see what people come up with.

Do need an appetizer for your Super get together? Try these sausage and cheese wonton cups. We had friends over for the NFC and AFC Championship games and I was looking for a fun finger food to make. I had just bought a package of wonton wrappers and was originally going to just make Chinese dumplings. However, I had come across a Bob Evans recipe for wonton sausage cups. The idea of turning the wontons into crunchy little vessels to hold yummy filling, sounded like a great idea. What didn’t sound great was the recipe which included a lot of cheese and Ranch dressing. Seriously ranch and cheese and sausage? I am sure some of you out here have had these and think they are delicious but I was not game for it.

Instead, I looked around my kitchen, found a pound of ground Italian sausage and a container of chive and onion cream cheese and thought that would make a much better filling! I followed the instructions from the original recipe on how to make the wonton cups. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray and carefully push in a wonton wrapper into each well, making a fluted cup.
Into a 375 oven they go for about 5 minutes…just until they brown slightly. Remove them and allow them to cool. If you are like me and just own one mini-muffin pan you will have to repeat this step several times! In the end you will have a ton of fillable cups.

Next brown and crumble the sausage, drain it and allow it to cool slightly.
Add the tub of cream cheese, and mix well:
Next fill each cup with the filling.
Place back into the oven for about 8 minutes…again carefully watching for the right amount of browning.

Voila, pretty and tasty appetizers.
Both my husband and step-daughter went CRAZY over these. I originally intended to only make half the package of wontons but their pre-game snacking required the rest of the package get used.

I am excited to try different meat and cheese combinations…just no ranch thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment