Monday, November 28, 2011

Meatless Monday: The End of Thanksgiving

Sick of turkey yet?

Even if I did cook a 14-pound turkey for just me, my husband and son and then inexplicably also cook enough sides for as many people as a 14-pound turkey could feed..I do enjoy Thanksgiving because it is THE holiday dedicated to eating. As the below photo shows:
Did I mention this was for just me, my spouse and our 4-year old?

Anyway, there is turkey pot pie filling in the crock-pot while we speak , augmented by leftover veggies. Speaking of veggies, with it being Meatless Monday I thought I would share some vegetable dishes starting with 3 different broccoli preparations from my favorite Cooking Light::
I made my broccoli for Thanksgiving in the spirit of their lemon broccoli but having used all the lemons during my other prep and cooking I improvised with leftover lemon Caesar dressing…quite good!
Next it’s a good time to revisit those mashed sweet potatoes because since according to my husband I made 3 pounds of them, I had leftovers I used in a sweet potato cheesecake:
Finally I direct your attention to my new favorite easy and tasty appetizer/side item: spicy saltines! These went fantastic with a good friend’s famous white chicken chili at the recent college football tailgate. Literally there are 4 ingredients: 1 ¼ cup canola oil, 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper, 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix, 1 box of saltines:
Have a great post-Thanksgiving week everyone! Next blog will be the December menu…only 27 days until Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment