Saturday, June 4, 2011

Steal of the Week: Quick and Easy (And tasty!) Alfredo Sauce

Inspiration can come from the strangest places. I was sitting in the courthouse for jury duty..yep, Jury Duty-the reason your Cook Crook has been so quiet lately! Combine an ENTIRE WEEK of jury duty with a holiday weekend that included a party I threw for my husband’s 40th birthday and returning to work after said time off and the result is absolutely no blogging, and frankly very little cooking! But, I did stumble across a little reader submitted recipe idea in a woman’s magazine (and if I could tell you which one I would) that mentioned creating a quick alfredo sauce from cream cheese, milk and parmesan! When I got home, and couldn’t remember the magazine I saw it in (and was scared to rip out said page from the magazine WHILE IN A COURTHOUSE) I decided to go to my very trusty online recipe reference: AllRecipes.com

And there it was, Quick and Easy Alfredo Sauce a very easy I-have-every-ingredient-in-my-house-already recipe. The changes I made were to use the Neufchatel cheese, skim milk and light butter. 
The question was what to go with it?

I started with my new favorite prepared meat: Al Fresco sausage. These chicken sausages are so delicious and come in some great flavors. I had a package of the spinach and feta sausages on hand! And my herbs are doing grand so I picked some fresh Italian basil and parsley and made a little herb blend.
I sliced the sausages and added them to a cooked bag of another favorite Wacky Mac pasta
Tossed with the finished alfredo sauce and sprinkled with the fresh herbs, a delicious meal!
This is going on my list of company meals. It makes a ton, it's delicious and I don't believe anyone would ever know how lighter on calories it really was. This sauce recipe is a keeper for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment