Sunday, February 20, 2011

Travel Spot: Ben's Chili Bowl

I love shows about food and the Travel Channel's Man v. Food is no exception! In fact, it's a favorite in our house the whole family enjoys and we have often talked about visiting some of the sites host Adam Richman has in his show.

Well, this Saturday, we went to McLean, VA to visit friends and as we usually day, planned a day trip into Washington D.C. for part of our weekend. I insisted we try out Ben's Chili Bowl which had been featured on Man v. Food AND because I love, I mean love chili dogs.( My husband can attest to this since I think my diet when I was pregnant with our son consisted of about 50% chili dogs at some point during the 9 months).
Anyway, we went there for lunch at 1:30PM on a Saturday. We expected a line and there was one but it moved pretty quickly (15-20 minutes total) and soon we were inside ordering at the counter and watching them grill hot dogs and their signature "half-smokes" and smelling chili. 

We had hungry kids and the place was small, and loud and crowded as we placed our order but can I tell you how wonderfully sweet the folks behind the counter were? Even as I attempted to pass myself off as someone who knew what they were ordering, I got a "sweetie" , several smiles and when she told me she would bring the food to us and bring the check later...I didn't care if it was the best chili ever, it made my day.

So, the four of us sat down to one plain hot dog for the little guy, a large bowl of chili for hubby, a small bowl of chili for the 11-year old, one chocolate milkshake, 1 vanilla milkshake, 1 basket of fries, and for me, the famous chili half-smoke. Let me again remind you that I love chili and love chili dogs and then I will say BEST CHILI DOG EVER!! My son said "Mommy, I REALLY like this hot dog place!" And when my dear step-daughter said it was the best chili she ever had (even better than mine), I knew our trip had been really worth it (and that I need to tweak my own recipe some...LOL)!

So thanks to Ben's Chili Bowl for a wonderful family lunch and a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment