Friday, February 18, 2011

Stuffed Chicken-Everybody's Doing It!

I had a mini-brain meltdown yesterday: I left home yesterday morning and never put together dinner. Clearly the calendar said "crock-pot chicken" and I ignored it. So that afternoon as I talked with hubby about plans for the evening, the realization of no planned dinner occurred to me. Then he saved me: I'll be working a bit late tonight. Whew! That would give me time to run by the grocery store for a few things.

I knew I still had some cooked chopped bacon and fresh spinach left over and as I have said before, the man loves chicken so I grabbed a package of boneless skinless breasts to make a dish with that and the bacon and spinach. Then I remembered a friend had given us some wing sauce from one of our favorite places. Hmmmm...spicy chicken needs blue cheese so I picked up a wedge (on sale even!) of blue cheese.

I had previous experience stuffing chicken as I made my way through Cooking Light's newest issue, but I wanted something different and I really wanted to use that wing sauce. Enter Cooks.com and  blue cheese stuffed chicken breast recipes that I knew I could adapt.

I pounded out the chicken breasts into relatively even cutlets. I made a mixture with the fresh spinach, the bacon, 1/2 cup sour cream and some crumbled blue cheese (I mixed the filling in the sour cream container! I divided the filling out evenly and put some at the end of each breast. I carefully rolled each one up and secured with toothpicks. Then, I coated each rolled up chicken with the wing sauce I had poured in a bowl. Next, I dredged the chicken in breadcrumbs. I heated an oven proof skillet with a small amount of olive oil on medium high heat.

When the oil began to smoke, I added the chicken. I carefully browned them on each side. (You have to be careful to let each side brown sufficiently or you can lose breading.) Once browned, the entire skillet was placed in a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Husband said make again...and that's all I need for praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment