Monday, January 31, 2011

Steals of the Week: FOOTBALL Food!

 This is the first year in a while my husband and I aren't having a party for that game that happens between the two teams that remain after the regular season and the playoffs (apparently any mention or allusion to said game is a huge no-no). He is naturally disappointed because there are a few appetizers  I make that he can't wait to eat. Personally, I am excited to let someone else do the planning and cooking this year. But in his honor, and for those of you interested in game day snacks, here are some oldies but goodies that have been "stolen" for generations. Credit is given where credit can be credited!

VELVEETA Spicy Sausage Dip recipe (follow link for recipe)

  • I personally use 1 roll of Jimmy Dean Hot sausage for extra spice
  • The can of diced green chiles and tomatoes is a simple way to make this recipe. I have also made it with fresh tomatoes and canned green chiles, which I find makes a thicker dip.
  • This dip is great with multi-grain tortilla chips too!
7-Layer Dip 

There are THOUSANDS of versions of this recipe out there so attributing anyone to a version is hard. One of my go-to recipe sites AllRecipes.com has 7 different kinds just on the first page. I will share the recipe my mom gave me. This makes enough dip for a 9x13 dish!

2 cans of refried beans
1 package of taco seasoning
3 cups of guacamole (not the guacamole dip! I've made that mistake!)
3 cups of sour cream
2 large tomatoes diced
2 cans of diced green chiles drained
4 cups of shredded Mexican cheese
2 small cans of sliced black olives

Mix the taco seasoning into the beans and spread on the bottom of the pan. (A little hint that sometimes microwaving the beans for a bit can soften them to make them easier to spread.) layer the other ingredients in order listed being careful to spread the liquid ingredients thinly and evenly. The tomatoes, chiles and olives should be sprinkled to cover and the cheese should completely cover the dip. Serve immediately or chill no more than 2 hours.

Hot Sausage and Cheese Puffs 
(I am 99.9% sure this originated with Bisquick but the recipe on Bettycrocker.com is different! sausage-cheese-balls. My mom gave this recipe to me years ago.

1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, cooked, crumbled, drained and completely cooled
1 pound shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups biscuit mix
3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add sausage to a large bowl, then add cheese, biscuit mix and water. Mix with a fork just until blended. The mix will have a paste like consistency. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on large ungreased cookie sheets (I usually use parchment paper just to be safe). Bake 12-15 minutes or until puffed and browned. Remove and cool on wire racks. These can be prepared ahead and frozen or refrigerated and then warmed right before the party in a 350 oven.

Have a great party and enjoy the game!





1 comment:

  1. Greetings from a new foodie blogger

    Hi there!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://thecookcrook.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete