Saturday, January 15, 2011

Steals of the Week: Fried Ravioli by request and "Faux-tatoes"

I named this blog The Cook Crook because the cornerstone of my culinary "expertise" is truly the recipes and ideas of others. I consider myself creative with food but I still need a starting point and direction on what things can truly go together. So every week as a part of this blog I will highlight a recipe as my "Steal of the Week". This week I am including two since I received a request for the fried ravioli recipe I shamelessly stole from Rachel Ray and discussed here. The second is my own version of the South Beach "faux-tatoes" that I referred to as smashed cauliflower in my previous post. Enjoy!

Fried Ravioli 
(This recipe can easily be doubled for more than 3 people or smaller ravioli can be used to make a great appetizer)
1 Package Large Fresh Ravioli with any filling (I use the Organic spinach ones BJs sells in a 2-pack)
Canola Oil
1 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
Jar of favorite pasta sauce

Set up two large dishes as your dredging stations (I use deep dish pie plates). In one, beat the eggs and mix in the milk. In the other, mix well with a fork the breadcrumbs and the Parmesan making sure to break up any of the cheese that may be clumped. In a large deep skillet or an electric skillet (which is what I use), heat at medium-hi enough Canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan.

Working in batches, coat the ravioli in the egg mixture and then being sure to shake off any excess, completely cover each one in the breadcrumb and cheese mixture. Place them one by one in the pan being sure you note where you lay the first one in. In the electric skillet, I start in the far left-hand corner and work may way up in a row and back down then back up again, repeating the pattern until as many ravioli as possible are in the pan. Be sure they are not touching. By the time I get to the last ravioli in the pan it's about time to flip them (about 3-4 minutes if you need a time). I have found a good set of tongs does the trick nicely.You will notice the ravioli will puff as it cooks, if they cook too long, they will burst although it's not unusual for a little filling to sometimes leak out even during normal cooking.

The ravioli should be nicely browned as you turn them. Be sure to stay true to the order you placed them in the pan which ensures each cooks evenly .When they have completed browning on the other side, remove them from the pan and place on top of a metal cooling rack positioned over some paper towels. This is a trick I stole from Alton Brown that prevents fried food from becoming soggy. If you are making a lot of little ones for appetizers or making them ahead of time for the family, place the ravioli on the cooling rack set in a backing pan and keep warm in a 350 oven. Serve with your favorite jarred sauce warmed up!

Smashed Cauliflower
I use frozen cauliflower because fresh is sometimes expensive, frozen is convenient and the husband hates the smell of a head of it steaming on the stove!

1 large bag of frozen cauliflower (16 oz.)
4 oz of cream cheese (I use reduced-fat)
salt and pepper to taste

*Note this is the basic recipe. You can mix in any of the typical toppings you might expect in potatoes: chives, bacon, shredded cheddar, etc. I made it the first time with crisped prosciutto and shredded Havarti cheese on top and I just read a recipe online where someone mixed in goat cheese!

Cook the cauliflower according to the package directions. Drain any excess liquid. In a large bowl, smash the cauliflower with a potato masher. Add the cream cheese and continue to smash together. Once combined, you can continue to smash until they reach your desired consistency or use a stick blender like I do to make them as creamy as possible. Mix in salt and pepper and any additional items like cooked crumbled bacon. Place in a 2-quart casserole dish, add shredded cheese if desired, and bake in a 350 degree oven until edges brown and cheese melts and bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment