Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tonight's Creation

Tonight was a perfect example of taking something I saw on television and making it into a meal. I had written on the menu "Panko Pork" which meant I knew I had Panko breadcrumbs and boneless pork chops handy. As of yesterday I was still not quite sure what I was going to do with them.

Well, Friday I was watching an episode of the Rachel Ray show and saw her make this recipe. Hmmm, I thought - the herbs in the breadcrumb mix sound like a nice touch and I haven't done a true breading in a while (meaning flour, egg wash and then coat). What if I followed along the same vein for my pork chops? Eliminate the cheese, substitute egg substitute (that's funny), rosemary goes better with pork....oh and I need to deepen the flavor...I know! Marinate the pork chops in Teriyaki sauce!

Results: Panko Pork Chops realized!












4 boneless center cut pork chops
1 cup Teriyaki sauce or marinade
1 1/2 cup flour
2 cups Egg Beaters or 2 beaten eggs
2 cups breadcrumbs (I like the Panko!)
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 Tsp parsley, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil

Marinate the pork chops with the Teriyaki sauce in a plastic bag for a few hours in the fridge. When ready to cook, remove pork from bag, shake off excess sauce and set aside. Heal oil in a pan on medium-Hi heat.

Combine breadcrumbs, rosemary and parsley in a pie plate and set aside. Coat each chop in flour, then dip into egg mixture, fully coating. Finally, coat pork in breadcrumbs. Place in hot oil and fry 5-7 minutes per side depending on thickness of pork and until coating is golden brown. I prefer (and recommend you only flip the pork once - it keeps the coating crispy and in place!)

How can you modify this to make dinner tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment