Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pork BBQ - The Crock-Pot Scores again!

I love BBQ - pulled pork BBQ that is, shredded in vinegar sauce. I figured I can eat it therefore I can make it. No smoker and no patience for outdoor cooking (that is indeed my hubby's realm) so I thought there must be a way to once again use the ever faithful Crock-Pot.

I found A TON of recipes for pulled BBQ in a slow cooker. Many of them were along the lines of cook pork, add favorite bottled sauce and voila - not really what I was looking for. Then I found this one: Crock Pot Pulled BBQ

Easy enough - I had a 6.5 pound pork shoulder so I increased the liquid to a cup each. Also, culling an idea from several other recipes, after the pork was done cooking, I reserved about a cup of the liquid, being sure to strain it and run it through a coffee filter to remove some of the particles and fat. Once the meat was shredded, I added it back to the crock pot, added the reserved liquid, some red pepper flakes and cooked it on low another hour.

Served on kaiser rolls with "homemade" coleslaw (i.e. bottled coleslaw dressing and the bagged pre-washed coleslaw mix)

We had friends over for this one tonight - there is only enough BBQ left for about 4 more sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment