Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Real Meals Please!

I am always upfront about the fact that I have no shame when it comes to stealing whatever great cooking ideas come my way. I also have an opinion about some of the stuff that is out there marketed as "Meal Solutions". Take this article from Better Homes and Gardens posted by the Today Show billed as 30-minute meals for under $5 a serving.

I eagerly clicked on the link excited about what potential new tips and tricks awaited me. And boy was I disappointed! Two of those meals would be great meals for me - the other two I am just not getting the appeal and absolutely none of them would work for my family. Don't get me wrong, I experiment and expose them to new things all the time but if I can't excited for the food, they certainly won't!

Perhaps a better title would have been "Gourmet Meals for under $5 a serving" - at least it would be truth in advertising! I really feel like the food industry is taking advantage of our cost consciousness to get us to click and read and then buy things that just aren't practical to real life. Maybe "Meals for Lunch Time Entertaining" would have even hit the mark better. Just be honest - ask a mom who is trying to stretch the budget and trying to cook healthy satisfying meals for her family if Camembert on flat bread is going to do the trick - I think we all know the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment