Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rediscovering the Crock Pot


There was one point in history that I remember every bride got a Crock-Pot for her wedding. I got this beauty at my first wedding in 1999. While that marriage lasted 2 years, this beauty has been with me for the long haul.
Then the "Crock-Pot" fell out of fashion for a while but with the recent economic climate, slow cooking has made a resurgence as a way to use inexpensive cuts of meat to make hearty meals.
However, I discovered the secret a few years ago, before Crock-Pots were cool again and referred to more often as slow-cookers: almost anything can be made into a meal that you can prep in the morning and have waiting for you when you come home from work that night. For the longest time my slow cooker only made an appearance if I was making cocktail meatballs, needed to keep chili warm or I was making a pot roast. Now, I incorporate more and more slow cooker recipes into my monthly menu (which I will talk about in another post soon).

One key tip culled from hours of scouring websites for Crock-Pot recipes: pre-made soups, broths and sauces are your friend. I always keep cream of celery, cream of chicken and cream of broccoli on hand (the husband has a steadfast aversion to mushrooms) and there are 98% Fat Free versions available which the member of the household with high cholesterol also appreciates. I also always have canned tomato sauce, pasta sauce, beef, vegetable and chicken broth. Keep potatoes, onions, carrots and frozen vegetables on hand and there is no meal that can't be whipped up with the addition of some spices and a protein!

Sound simple? Well it is! See what you have on hand and search for a recipe that has a few of those components. If the recipe calls for something to simmer, roast, or bake - you can easily modify it to your crock-pot. Just be sure you follow the two L's of slow cooking: Liquid and Leave. You always need enough liquid and you must leave it alone and the lid on (which should be easy if you are leaving for the day - but the weekend can bring temptation to peek!).

There are a few websites out there giving more guidance - a simple and easy one to read is : http://www.crockpot-cooking.com/

Now being the Cook Crook I have yet to follow any of these to the letter. Instead I came up with a simple formula:
At least 1 cup and/or 1 can of liquid + 1 pound of meat + seasoning = dinner
The equation can be multiplied as much as needed and also be altered to add in a starch and/or vegetables. The cup and cans vary based on the flavors and quantity you are trying to achieve.
For example, take a recipe for Creamy Dijon Chicken at the website mentioned above. You already know my husband won't have anything to do with that Cream of Mushroom soup - so cream of chicken it is. There is also an equally potent aversion to mustard. So one package of dry onion soup mix goes in. Wait, I seem to be out of chicken...but I do have a pound of boneless pork chops handy...and there you go - a stolen idea equals a dinner I know everyone will eat.
That same recipe becomes a slow-cooked Italian chicken with boneless skinless breasts, a jar and 1/2 of our favorite pasta sauce, some chopped fresh basil and oregano (or dried is of course always fine) and some sauteed green peppers and onions. Serve over pasta or without and sprinkle cheese on top when it is plated.
I recently made marina sauce (first time!) for my out of town family over the weekend:
1 pound cooked ground turkey cooked in olive oil with garlic, green pepper, shredded carrot and onions
1 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz can of "Italian" diced tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 jar of pasta sauce (BTW, that 1/2 jar was leftover from that Italian chicken I mentioned!)
Chopped fresh basil and oregano
Cooked on low 6-8 hours
Remember, this is how I have developed my cooking over the years: I look for things that go together and get advice on what can go in and for how long - the rest is up to me (and whatever happens to be in the pantry or fridge)!

No comments:

Post a Comment