Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Simple Things

December has been a crazy month. Work is wrapping up for the year and I finished my last class for school. My last class...ever! Before I knew it, we were a week away from Christmas!

In the last few days, time seems even more precious. I am a food writer, not a social issues one so I will only say that my reaction to the tragedy in Connecticut was akin to the nesting I did when I was late into my pregnancy with my son. I wanted to clean and cook and ...even bake. The holiday time makes that all seem more reasonable of course but I knew I suddenly wanted to squeeze out a million memories and tackle dust bunnies because I felt powerless to do anything else.

Tonight was our yearly tradition of cookie making. My step-daughter will be with her mother until the New Year so we did it tonight and because it was a school night and a work night we did use a mix. But who cares? We made egg yolk paint that I used when I made cookies with my parents. I let them cut their choice of shapes (notice the Star Wars ones) and paint whatever they wanted.

Rebecca's Cookies
Josh's Cookies
Favorites were chosen for lunch boxes and for Santa. My son was covered in flour and when he went to bed my dear girl wanted to help me make candies for my office and wrap gifts for my co-workers. I got a little choked up as I looked at my sleeping boy and said good night to my teenage girl. I am no longer in a rush. Every moment counts. It is the simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment