Monday, December 24, 2012

Cook Crook Creation: Brownie Awesomeness

Merry Christmas! Unbelievably I am sitting in a quiet house right now on Christmas Eve while my boys are off doing some last minute shopping. I still have some baking, cleaning and cooking left to do, but had to share this fabulous treat recipe for those of you who need some more sweets for your holiday menu or maybe a last minute gift! I created these one night in a panic to make something delicious for my husband's co-workers for Christmas. I had brownie mix but did not just want to make plain old brownies. I stumbled upon a fudge recipe that had a pretzel crust and thought why not a pretzel crusted fudge brownie? And then, not wanting the top to be outdone, decided to make the brownies with a cream cheese swirl. Hubby walked into the kitchen while I was "inventing" and asked me what I was making....my answer was Brownie Awesomeness!


Brownie Awesomeness

Crust:
1 ½ cup crushed pretzels
1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
Brownie:
1 package fudge brownie mix (I used the Duncan Hines Family size)
¼  water
¾ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
Cream Cheese Swirl:
6 oz. softened cream cheese
1 egg
¼ Tsp vanilla
1 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix crushed pretzels, butter and sugar in a medium bowl and then spread into a 13x9 baking dish. Press the “crust” evenly into the bottom of the dish and bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.

Prepare brownie mix according to the package directions for “fudge like” brownies: add the brownie mix, water, oil and eggs into a large bowl and mix well. In another bowl, add the cream cheese, egg, vanilla and sugar and beat well with an electric mixer until smooth.

Gently spread the brownie mix on the pretzel crust. Using a spoon, add dollops of the cream cheese mixture across the surface of the brownies. Then using a knife or small spreader, gently swirl the cream cheese into the brownie batter until all of cream cheese is incorporated. Swirl in opposite directions to get desired look.
Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least one hour on a cooling rack. Slice with a sharp knife into 6 columns and 4 rows.

I wish you and your family the merriest of Christmases and a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment