Monday, June 25, 2012

Shrimp Two Ways, Two Days Part II

Leftover cooked shrimp in my experience either ends up as a salad, in a salad or on a soup. There is no secret to this as shrimp can easily be overcooked and become tough like leather (how many Top Chef episodes have you seen when the judges decry overcooked shellfish??) BUT, that being said, I saw no issue with WARMING the shrimp and using in a recipe, so with beautiful ingredients on hand: fresh cilantro, limes, a farm grown red pepper, onion, garlic, cayenne and cumin, a new dish was born...shrimp fajitas

The shrimp already had some nice flavor from the previous nights marinade and grill, but for this dish I wanted to amplify the spice, so I made a quick rub of chopped cilantro, about a teaspoon each of cumin and cayenne and some lemon juice, and redressed the shrimp:
In a saute pan, I added a little olive oil and sauteed the peppers and onion that I sliced into strips. Right when the veggies were just about to brown and were still crisp, I added a quick squeeze of lime, the garlic and the shrimp.
The shrimp were only in the pan long enough to marry the flavors and warm them. Then it was time to dress them on some corn tortillas. I tried two different toppings: one of just goat cheese and a little more cilantro and one more traditional of sharp cheddar and sour cream:
The extra cumin and cayenne really amplified the spice which had quite a little bite but was by no means uncomfortable. I think I have convinced my husband that shrimp is indeed fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment