Sunday, March 11, 2012

Travel Spot: Pita Jungle

My first day out in Arizona was a shopping and lunch day with my pal Amy and her cutie-patootie 6-month old Benjamin while her oldest was at school. She asked me what I was in the mood for and my criteria was simple: I wanted something I could not get in Virginia Beach. So she selected Pita Jungle.

Pretty unassuming form the outside and located in a strip mall, it is a very simple and open space with lots of tables. Walking in you also can't miss the wood fire oven:
My stomach was still adjusting to a time change so I selected a burger...specifically I selected one of their house special burgers, The Kafta Burger: Angus beef mixed with parsley, jalapenos, onions, and pomegranate molasses, on Ciabatta bread with chipotle hummus, and a chopped salad of lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and sumac, served with garlic new potatoes. Should be no questions as to why this was my selection right? And it arrived looking like this:
Excuse me why I salivate remembering...Amy ordered one of the lunch specials, the black bean burger, also a gorgeous plate of lunch food:
I will go on record as that it was one of the best gourmet burgers I have had (more on another burger adventure in a future post) and the freshness of the ingredients was readily apparent. In fact, it never would have occurred to me to put hummus on a burger. Combine that flavor with the chopped salad and deliciousness was in the house.
I briefly considered taking half back to Amy's house...that thought was short-lived. It was just too good! I wish VB had more places like this that make things like lavash and hummus and their own pita chips. I think I may try to recreate that burger..maybe this Memorial Day party will be a burger bar instead of a hot dog bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment