Saturday, December 3, 2011

Appetizer Alert: Sausage and Cheese Puffs

'Tis the season for pot lucks and parties! After Thanksgiving it's like the entire calendar bursts at the seems with events and activities leading up until Christmas and then extending until New Year's Day. If it's not stuff at church or entertaining people at your home, your office is asking you to sign up to bring something. These sausage and cheese puffs (commonly called in my house "Sausage Balls") are easy and delicious and were a given when I was growing up whenever my parents threw a party. My mom wrote the recipe down for me years ago, and while I know it came from either Bisquick or some other source, I still credit my mom for keeping them in fashion all these years!

Sausage and Cheese Puffs
1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage
1 pound shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups of biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
3/4 cup of water

Preheat oven to 400. If you purchase your Italian sausage in links, remove it from the casings. I have used various types of sausage over the years including pork roll sausage in various flavors. My husband likes it when I make it with the hot sausage. Last time I made them I made one batch with regular pork roll sausage and one with Hot Italian sausage. This recipe is different from others I have seen because it asks you to cook the meat until no longer pink (about 8-10 minutes) until it is crumbled. Then you make sure to drain the fat. A slotted spoon over to plates lined with paper towels always do the trick for me.
Once the sausage has cooled completely, spoon it it into a large bowl and add the cheese, biscuit mix and water. Mix with a fork just until blended...do not over mix!
Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and place on large cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until puffed and browned.
Remove and cool on wire racks. 
These can be made ahead of time, refrigerated and reheated. They also freeze very well. While good warm or even at room temperature, they are best hot. I have also experimented with different cheeses and add-ons (like green chilies!). These are a go-to for me just like they were for my mom. And these two batches that I made for my office? Were gone in two hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment